Doctor Who Merchandise

Steven Moffat: ‘it’s time to kick a lot of stuff out’

Posted by Craig Hurle on January - 3 - 2014

doctor-capaldis

Steven Moffat has spoken openly about the new series of Doctor Who, and it’s time for a Spring Clean apparently. The show begins filming this month, at present in a bloc of 6, although 12 episodes are planned, and a full series is promised uninterupted, with September and even Early October mentioned as a return date, and speculation of a Easter Special has also recently been muted.

Moffat said about another new change of direction to feature new Doctor Peter Capaldi and Companion Jenna Coleman:

“It changes all the time, and it’s keeping ahead of the audience in a way. All shows age and they all age sort of in the same way. You learn how to do it, you get really slick at it, and then you think you’re really, really slick at it and everyone’s started to yawn. And you think ‘oh God, we’re really slick at this but everyone knows what we’re going to do. So now we’ve got to actually get a bit raw at it and do it in a different direction. It happens on every show – you get good at it and ‘good at it’ is the enemy in the end.”

“If Russell had stayed on, [Doctor Who] would still have changed. I remember when we had our handover chat, he was saying, ‘so what are you going to do? Are you going to change that?’ And I said, ‘well, what would you change?’ and we both agreed, ‘it’s time to kick a lot of stuff out’. And, actually, it is time again to do that.”

111007

Are you excited about Series 8 and going Raw? Would you like to see a return of a RTD era character like Captain Jack or Donna Noble? Or maybe a Classic Companion?

Categories: Hub News

89 Responses so far.

1. Maëlibé says:

Bringing back Captain Jack would be brillant, actually, since his plot was never actually solved. We need answers !

• Keani says:

Yes Captain Jack still has an unfinished story and it would be very entertaining to see Clara and Captain Jack having an argument of some sort.

• Graham says:

Definately needs a Captain Jack update – we know where he comes from – we know quite alot about his modern character from Torchwood episodes!
        and we have clues about Captain Jack Harkness is The Face of Boe!! If this is true we also know how Jack eventually dies.
        How does Jack age into the face of boe!!
        Answer the evolution of Jack please

• david carman says:

Jack is more than a character, he is an INTERESTING character, something that’s lacking and it’s mainly down to his acting skills, again something that’s been lacking in the 11th Doctor

• russ says:

Captain jack would be great and we all already know river is coming back for her third doctor

• Justintime says:

Actually, Moffat has not confirmed this. He is reluctant to use her without an adequate story for her and has hinted he’s happy to leave her be for now.

• Justyn says:

That and the Doctor’s daughter… that needs some more attention.

• Jason says:

YES! The Doctor’s Daughter was left wide open! Her storyline left such a huge hole, you could fill it with her own spin-off!

• Vince94 says:

I’d LOVE to see Romana again, even more so since the New Series can get romantic.

2. Milly Rosario-Summers says:

Captain Jack needs to make more appearances and a possible return to Torchwood:)

3. travis scott says:

all fingers crossed for an eventual return of romana such a brilliant companion

• Jonathan says:

I agree bring Romana or Leela or even Susan and Jo Grant back

• david carman says:

Is it the ‘character’ or the companion? Characters can be dumped, companions live on as we’ve seen with SJ (dear Liz).
        Some are memorable, some are less so and usually for the right reasons

4. Ivy says:

Dies this mean Moffat’s leaving?

5. Hrothgir says:

“Easter Special has also recently been muted.”
    MOOTED. Not MUTED.

• Lee says:

Actually, speculation gets “muted” while points are moot. Speculation can make something moot…but speculation itself cannot be mooted, only muted…

• Jen says:

Thank you Hrothgir. I was about to write the same thing. Gah! I couldn’t focus on the rest of the information because all I could see was the glaring, to use a kind term “boo boo”.

Have a great 2014 guys. Love your work but seriously, proofreading. Don’t rely on spell check.

• Stefan says:

Actually muted works better. They were just rumors, so they muted it. If they mooted it that would mean they gave up on it which would imply they intended to do it in the first place.

• Jennie says:

It says that the “speculation” has been “muted” which does make sense. You are just putting the verb to the wrong subject.

• Lee says:

It absolutely makes sense. Speculation doesn’t get discussed or debated…speculation is the fruit of discussion. Speculation does get muted, or quieted, as to end it. The speculation was muted because it is untrue…no Easter special.

• Justintime says:

There is no Easter special. There will be a 12 episode series in Autumn 2014. A Christmas special has yet to be green lit, but considering the excellent ratings for the 2013 episode, it seems likely.

6. Ace Robinson says:

Now the Timelords are back, I think we should bring back Romana- the Doctor could do with a badass Timelord companion 😀 x

I think, like in 11th’s era, there should be more good aliens. The Doctor is becoming far, far too human. It would be cool to see him saving other planets from peril, other planets where the inhabitants look a bit alien.

There would be so much culture in the Universe and Steven Moffat should have a bit more of this aspect of Doctor Who and cut out all the elaborate story arcs.

7. Liam Walker says:

I would love to see change in doctor who. Give Peter a new tardis and sonic screwdriver and make them like the classic ones. Also a time lord companion would be amazing I love waching romana in the classic series and since she is a time lord anyone can replace her. Or even for the doctor to travel to earth when he left Susan and pick her up and take her again she is a time lord so a new actress could play her or the actress who played her in an adventure in space and time. And yes to a Easter special finaly I am inpatient September is too far away make it April ish

8. Alan Lindamood says:

You can never go wrong with Captain Jack, but I can see the issue with doing American programming right now (Arrow. So I say bring back the ultimate companion with a whole new upgrade. K-9!!

9. tommy says:

It would be great to see old characters back but I just think it would be great to see something more gritty – realism elements/ stripped back stories, Less things that are far-fetching like ww2 planes in space. So yeah, rtd era with more gritty-realism mature elements

10. Gabrielle Morrissette says:

I really want them to bring back Captain Jack. We need answers to our questions! Also, seeing Donna Noble again would be amazing.

11. Augustus says:

I think some classic companions should return though I do like both Captain Jack Harkness and Donna Noble. It was nice to see Sarah Jane Smith and K-9 but of course her actress Elisabeth Sladen has passed so that’s out of the question. I would like to see the Rani Turlough,and Ace.

12. Glenn says:

Bring back Captain Jack and River Song.

• Miggy McGee says:

River would shine with Capaldi’s Doctor. I can really foresee great chemistry and witty sparring. Capaldi could show us this great relationship, passion and trust we’ve heard about since we first met River. She gave up ALL her regenerations to the Doctor, surely the Time Lords would grant her new ones.
      Remembering the Library, I think Donna and RIver would be awesome mates. I adored Doctor Donna, and would love to see her back
      Captain Jack? Sure, why not? He can BFF with Clara.

13. Edward says:

I would like to see an episode that overlaps a classic doctor who episode. Kind of like how deep space nine did with the Star Trek tribble episode.

14. Catie S. says:

I would LOVE to see any characters brought back to the show, no matter who. I’ve been pleased with everything the cast and crew have done so far and I have faith that they will continue to successfully impress me and keep me interested with any new approach they take.
    Keep us posted! Thanks!

15. Emily Kat Marchant says:

Bring back Jack! My friends and I all miss him! He was brilliant and we love him 🙂

16. Keani says:

It would be great to see the doctor saving other planets and other spices not just earth and Humans. With having The timelords back it would be cool having him see old Friends again. As well we should return the the Physic Paper.

17. Wednesday says:

I’m not to pleased with the new choice of the doctor, so bringing Captain Jack back would tweak my interest in watching next fall. I love classic Doctor Who, but the show has evolved, and the younger viewers are not going to be big fans of the older style. I think the new doctor is going to be a hard sell to the younger viewers also. JMHO

• jmcconnor says:

implying that the Capaldi doctor’s era will be ‘just like’ Classic Who is just silly. just because the doctor happens to be older this time, he’s automatically going to have storylines, scripts, and a general feel that’s similar to Classic Who? You said you love Classic Who…I guess it’s okay to love the old guys because they’ve always been a funny little oddity, safe in the past. Now that we have an (amazingly talented) older fellow as a Doctor again, oh dear me, he won’t be young and fashionable and marketable and hip to the kids! They’ll think it’s a return to boring, classic Who and they’ll all go away!

let ’em, more Capaldi for me 😉

• david carman says:

Not pleased?
      Were we pleased with Matt “fishfingers & custard” Smith?
      It’s all in the acting, and Peter Capaldi is a GOOD and experienced actor, not a post-graduate who got lucky after only 3 years of acting (some strings pulled here?)

18. Frankie says:

How does bringing back RTD characters relate to kicking a lot of stuff out ? Much as I liked Captain Jack and others from RTD era and rather things moved in a newer direction.

19. Mariel says:

The return of Captain Jack would be amazing! we need to know what happened to him in the in-between years, (unless you watch Torchwood, but for those of us that don’t:) Aaaaand… I miss him cx

20. Darren says:

As long as they keep the beautiful Jenna Coleman, they can do anything they like

21. Dee says:

I agree with a lot of the comments. The over arching plot lines should be more subtle. Taking things back to a more classic Who with more aliens and less Earth. The Doctor can go anywhere so perhaps stories on other planets. The companion is very important but must the entire season be about the companions life instead of the Doctors adventures? JMHO

22. Jerry Lem says:

Some of Ten’s adventures were morality plays, while a number of Eleven’s episodes can be described as “fanciful adventures.” A return to self-contained stories with a grittier edge would be a welcome change, and bringing back classic characters is a nice idea. Exploring Clara’s being scattered across the Doctor’s timeline would be an interesting story arc.

23. Raf says:

I don’t think he should get a new TARDIS. The Doctor got this one not even a series ago. Not absolutely everything has to change when we get a new Doctor. The screwdriver should change. Not that go do t like the current one, but it is eleven’s screwdriver. Twelve should get his own.

24. Madeleine says:

Bring back Jenny!!!! They left the Doctor’s Daughter episode without explaining what happened to her….

25. zach says:

Bring Jenny back!!!!

26. Ashley says:

It would be fantastic for River to be the main companion. That this would be “her Doctor” & show the ice skating bit.

27. david carman says:

Get rid of the ‘tellitubby’ daleks and bring back the most feared race as they were. It worked for 40 years. Give the Doctor a role that doesn’t have him running around like Usain Bolt, brandishing the sonic screwdriver like a lightsaber… He’s a TIMELORD, not a Jedi Knight. Get back to basics and let the Doctor be confounded, confused, initially defeated AND THEN AND ONLY THEN, defeat the baddies. And Allonsy and Geronimo are OUT! Let us not forget his legacy – he is a creation of 50yrs of writing genius, don’t throw it away like they did in 1989…

• Sam says:

Many of the classic Doctors had a catch phrase or something that filled that niche. Troughton had the recorder, Pertwee had “reverse the polarity on the neutron flow”, Baker had jelly babies. Allonsy and Geronimo weren’t the first time that sort of thing came up.

Not sure what your complaint with the running is. The Doctor isn’t Sherlock Holmes, walking around slowly, staring at the floor through a magnifying glass. They could settle down with the sonic though, I agree there. Not the complete removal like John Nathan Turner did, but just relaxing with using it as the cheap solution for every problem.

28. David McBryde says:

Why not bring back Susan? Surely the Doctor’s granddaughter deserves some sort of proper continuation or closure. And long-term fans need an explanation of wether or not she was involved in the Time War. (How does her reunion with the First Doctor in the Five Doctors fit into the Doctor’s timeline, by the way?) Carol Ann Ford could still play the role: the Doctor just has to materialise on Earth five decades after the events in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, which would explain while she’s older.

29. Craig says:

12???? It’s always been 13! There’s a missing episode 🙁
    I’m glad there is no break in this series. That was a stupid idea. Peter Calpaldi could be the best Doctor yet, but we have to hope Steven Moffat gives him that opportunity.

• Justintime says:

The 2014 series is 12epiosdes due to going into production later. It’s a 9 month shoot, not long considering it’s due on air in the Autumn! The Christmas special has yet to be green lit, but seems likely after the huge BBC1 ratings for the 2013 episode. That two I’ll take it to 13.

• dwmitch says:

Actually it’s somewhere in the 20s by now. Everyone, including Moffat, seems to forget “The Brain of Morbius,” which implies that Hartnel’s doctor wasn’t the first.

It would be interesting to run with that, maybe explore how he got a new regeneration cycle or two (more interesting than the lazy deus ex machina style of writing to give him his current set).

Of course, I’m not sure how the current doctor could explore that part of his life without crossing his own time stream.

Speaking of crossing the time stream, I think universal laws should apply to everyone. There’s all this talk about not being able to cross your own time stream without repercussion. This was shown when Rose saved her dad but the Doctor, by his own dialog being subject to that very universal law, has done so on several occasions without anything happening. In one episode they said the universe was destroyed as a result but that would have happened even if he never interacted with himself.

In the Day of the Doctor all 13 known incarnations interacted and the universe went on. They need to be consistent. Once they establish something it should be set in stone, or at least have reasons it can be violated, instead of using it in some cases as a tension building device then discarding it when it serves the plot.

30. Dr Bernie says:

Please bring back River!!

31. SkepticGator says:

If you’re making changes, could we please get rid of Clara? She’s the worst companion of the modern era.

• Sam says:

That’s your opinion and I’m glad it’s not the majority view. Not that our opinions make any difference to the direction the show takes.

• Gina says:

I agree somewhat. I loved Clara in “Asylum of the Daleks” and in “Snowmen,” but I really couldn’t care less about her in the last half of series 7. I don’t know if I still haven’t gotten used to her or not – it took me a while to get used to Amy and then I loved her.

32. Wrdgirl says:

I’ve been watching Classic Doctor Who and am surprised at home much I enjoy it. I’m glad to say RTD kept a lot of the Classic elements in the reboot which makes it very easy to be addicted to the Classic Who. I am currently lovig the second Doctor :). With that said if Moffat is truly going to toss out a lot of stuff I do hope he will get back to the beginnings of Doctor Who and bring back the elements of what had made Doctor Who great. At this point in time Doctor Who has become Marvel/DC comic type super-hero and not the modest, curious time traveller who just loves to travel and learn new things but somehow manage to get himself into dangers and always end up outsmarting his enemies even though he never always know he will. That’s what makes Doctor Who so loveable.

33. Alphabet Souperman says:

The Doctor’s current regeneration isn’t a naturally occurring one… it’s energy was borrowed. The Curator implied that the Doctor might revisit old faces. What if faces wasn’t the only thing the Doctor revisited? Peter is a brilliant actor and could totally pull this off…what if the Doctor’s past selves surfaced from tie to time, perhaps randomly at first, but later more controlled to the situation. One episode… slight of hand, the next… a judo chop, the next… an attraction to celery… Jelly Baby? Multiple Personality disorder might be in order… he is, after all, a madman with a box.

34. Whovian says:

I think the Doctors daughter should return, as well as Captain Jack.
    Both of their stories could be developed more!

35. aidan portway says:

everyone seems to have forgotten that there is a guy with lots of information in his hed and a portal.. Adam Mitchell seems to have been a quick in and out but has the potential to cause lots of problems with what he knows. would make a good Torchwood or Doctor Who baddie.. He was left behind and that can make revenge a good story line.

Also the Roman angle still needs to be solved.. the doctor saved himself how comes he didnt recognise himself. is the new regeneration more like a new life beginning that a continuation.

36. Neil B says:

Cut the companion falling for the Doctor out for starters. I really like Clara I think she has a lot more potential there. Without doubt bring back Captain Jack Harkness his character has lots more life in him yet.

I am intreagued as to how Peter Capaldi will portray this version of the Doctor. While I thought Matt Smith was superb I feel this version needs to be more mean and moody.

37. Poof says:

Bring back Captain Jack. Think about how the Brigadier was on the show for a good twenty years or so, interacting with various Doctors. Why can’t Captain Jack be the same? It would be easy. And if you think the aging will be a problem, then just have it be a Jack from farther in the future.

And then eventually he’ll turn into the Face of Boe. 🙂

38. Andrew says:

It will be interesting that is for sure to see Peter, play his Doctor, and while I agree with the above comments that there was a large amount of Earth based episodes, perhaps that was a too much of a good thing. I do miss the Doctor having multiple companions though.

39. Lee says:

Personally, I liked RTD’s writing much better than Moffat’s. I mean, I liked Moffat’s occasional writing during the RTD era, but once he became the regular writer, he just got too carried away with crazy plots, too-human Doctor with too-shallow of… everyone. Though I do like Clara.

• Little Stevie says:

Well said Lee.

We should kick Moffat out too while we’re kicking out the old stuff. Or maybe not. Moffat can clearly do GREAT episodes that are mature, dark and freakishly scary (BLINK, The Empty Child, The Girl in the Fireplace…).

I think these notices from Moffat are his “spins” on the fact that he’s been told by the BBC brass to quit the nonsensical fairytales and needlessly convoluted hare-brained storylines.

40. Marvin says:

Please bring back Captain Jack! He is so cool and smart! 🙂

41. Craig says:

I’d like to see Capaldi’s Doctor, now that he’s fresh and his troubles are resolved (and he’s happier), to go back and “be a Doctor” to finish off Donna’s story. It would be a nice idea if Wilf was dying and he had to be there and helped Donna as his dying wish.

I think Captain Jack needs to return too but I understand why he wasn’t around for Matt’s era. For one, Jack went through trauma in “Torchwood: Miracle Day” and needed time, possibly even was damaged by it slightly. Also, he doesn’t suit Matt’s Doctor… Possibly River Song, Amy and Rory but not Matt’s stories or Doctor. He’d fit well with Clara and a rumoured River Song return though, plus he’d have an “older Doctor” to flirt with and comment on.

• Neil says:

I like the idea of finishing Donna’s story, whether Catherine Tate would reprise that role I don’t know? It would be good if she would.

However, I thought he story had be completed on the final episode of David Tennant’s era? If she remembered who he was, she would suffer from a human meta crisis and die? So didn’t he wipe her memory as a result? I could be wrong of course, often am 🙂

42. Dana says:

Maybe they should leave out the screwdriver with Capaldi’s character.

43. Chris says:

Captain Jack back ? That might be story challenge.
    River could use a rescue from the library. Maybe ?
    Doctor’s daughter is at large. She could pop in any time and thanks to regeneration she could be any actress !
    Clara has a few more episodes. I predict she’ll wrap it up with one complete and delicious souffle completed.
    Once Clara and River are resolved then some random episodes and a new companion by season’s end. Gallifrey needs finding (maybe). It’s a good time for a new persistent adversary too. That’s my multi-guess.

44. reilael says:

Bring back the Master! \o/

45. William Hanifan says:

Moffat the new Michael Grade

46. JillyKaren says:

I’d love to see them have a Valeyard arc – and I think just the actor to play him would be Paul McGann. I could totally see the Valeyard having the Eighth Doctor’s face.

• Iota says:

The valeyard’s face has already been seen in time lord trials episodes 2nd and 6th doctors, so I’d say they would get an older actor to play it. (The Valeyard is also said to be inbetween 12-?? (curator?)
      Taken from the Tardis Wikia
      The Valeyard was, according to the Master, “an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature”, taken from somewhere between his “twelfth and final incarnations”. (TV: The Ultimate Foe)

47. the captain says:

can u bring us amy back?